The gates opened around 7:30/8:00. The police and Secret Service were only letting people in 60 at a time. I made it through the 3rd round. I went through security, ran down the street about 50 yards, and ended up on Pennsylvania Avenue. There it was, the United States Capitol...draped in red, white, and blue. I was overwhelmed with emotions. So I looked over to my ticketed area and was trying to figure out how to get over the gated street. So I went up to the volunteers and officers for guidance, to find out that there was an update on the silver ticket entrance. "What do you mean an update?!?!" They told me that my gate was no longer going to be allowing people cross the street to get to the ceremony...and that my gate had become an entrance to the parade only. I was beyond mad. Then they told me that in order for me to get to my area, I needed to go through the Purple Ticketed Gate. So I had to exit the event, walk up 2 blocks, make a right, and walk down another 2-3 blocks to get to that gate. Throw in about 20,000 people roaming the area and you've got yourself a mission.
So I finally get to the Purple Gate, ready to breakdown because I was worried that I wasn't going to make it in. About 30-45 minutes later, as the line began to move, officers informed me that "Oh no, Silver Ticket holders can't go through this gate. You have to go to the other side of the Capitol to enter the ceremony." Now since this is a family blog, I will refrain from sharing my thoughts and feelings at this point. So I ran up about 5 blocks, passed the Capitol on Constitution Ave, made a right on 2nd Ave. NE, ran down that street about 5 blocks (passing the Capitol on my right), made another right down Independence Ave., and finally got to my gate......to find that the line to my gate wrapped around about a mile through random streets. At this point it's like 10:00am. I'm practically next to the Washington Monument. I was ready to give up and just watch the ceremony from the streets, until I asked an officer for some guidance. I told him my situation and he directed me on a different route to the Silver Gate and told me to check it out. I got there and the line was not moving!! I began to share my story with the random people in line, and they couldn't believe what I had gone through...let alone that I got there at 4:00am. Had it not been for the ladies I met who convinced me to not give up hope, and to believe, I would have walked away. (as you can tell, everyone was in the Obama spirit).
I finally got through security (again!) and through the gate at 11:00; just as the band began to play. Somehow, I still ended up making it into the area I wanted to be in! Don't ask me how...but I was either just lucky...or someone was looking over me. Either way, my trip around the Capitol at that point was worth it! I ended up next to the pond in front of the Capitol. Amazing view!
First, special guests and the White House Cabinet were introduced; then former presidents were introduced; and finally the Obama's and the Biden's were introduced. Joe Biden's ceremony only got the crowd warmed up (even more warmed up than when the crowd booed George W. Bush when he was introduced). And then came Barack..."I Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear..." The crowd of nearly 2 MILLION went crazy...including myself!! "...So help me God." (Just. Roberts: "Congratulations Mr. President."
I could not believe it. Everyone was screaming. We had just sworn in our first African-American President of the United States! Just to think, that I was there witnessing history was incredible! I choked up. Change had truly come to America.
After the ceremony, I worked my way back around the Capitol to watch the parade. For whatever reason, I decided to run to the White House to watch it. But by the time I got there, all of the gates were closed. Of course they were! Why wouldn't they be?! So I ended up watching it from the gated park across the street from the White House (where I was able to catch a glimpse of the president for like a second through the crack of the gate). Once I saw him, I ended up walking up the street 6 blocks to my apartment. I took about a 15 minute power nap and got dressed again.
I took another cab down to the convention center to try and crash the Neighborhood Inaugural Ball, but as you could imagine, that didn't exactly work out either. After about an hour of trying to figure out a way to get in, I realized that it wasn't going to happen. Just before I walked all the way home...again, I saw Diddy, Common, Hill Harper, and President Obama (as he drove by me in his motorcade - about 15 feet away). Seeing the president right in front of me, waving to the crowd, made all the drama that day seem unimportant. At that point, I was content even though I didn't make it into the ball. Just as I got to my apartment and was talking to security about my day, we heard a lot of sirens going off. I knew exactly what that was...Vice President Biden's motorcade! His route to the same ball was through my street. It was crazy! My night was complete.
When I woke up this morning and got dressed, I headed out the front doors of my building and went to work. Except this time it felt different. This time I had a little jump to my step. Knowing that I was going to work and working along side with a new administration...President Obama's Administration, made me prouder than ever. Knowing that my candidate was now my president made me realize once again what I was doing here in DC. And that is: Trying to make a difference.
(These pictures were posted in reverse order)
Vice President Biden's Motorcade
President Obama's Motorcade (I got excited when I saw him, so I messed up the shot)
President Obama's Decoy Motorcade
Diddy
The Parade Route
The U.S. Capitol After the Inauguration
Walking On Water (the frozen pond in front of the Capitol)
Former President George W. Bush Leaving the Capitol and Leaving DC For Texas
The Crowd Behind Me (Towards the Washington Monument)
During President Obama's Speech
President-Elect Obama Getting Sworn Into Office (Pt. 2)
President-Elect Obama Getting Sworn Into Office
Waiting To Get In the Inaugural Ceremony (picture taken around 5:00am)



Julian,
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you are doing this blog. You can use all this material for the book you'll be writing in the future, your version of "Audacity of Hope"!
I can't believe I was there 10 years ago with the UCDC program. I was able to see President Clinton speak on two different occasions. Enjoy every minute of it! I can't even imagine how amazing it must be to be there during this historical time of CHANGE and HOPE.
Keep the pics and entries coming!
I'm so proud of you!
Lennies
Tio Coco:
ReplyDeleteWe told you that you'd love blogger! Now that your pkg has arrived, keep us updated more frequently....you're burning a whole in my phone. LOL. You want to see pics of your nephew don't you?!
:-) Keep up the good work, we're all rooting for you,
A-Sizzle