Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Week Five: Presidents Week

I've titled this blog Presidents Week because that's essentially what it was! On Tuesday, instead of heading into work after class like I usually do, I took a detour to the hospital to finally get my knee checked out. Apparently everything is cool. I didn't break anything, nor did I sprain it - I strained it...whatever the hell that means. About $40 of bandage supplies later, everything seems to be good. Anyway, so due to me knee, I decided to take a cab to work on Wednesday morning. What an f-ing mistake! It took me about 20 minutes to flag one down; and then when I finally got one to pull over, some lady jumped in and jacked it! So instead of taking it easy, I found myself working the streets in trying to get a cab. At this point I'm already 20 minutes late to work. I finally got a cab...that I had to share with some other lady...go figure (just to add onto me already being late). So as we dropped the lady off, I looked to this tall building to the left of the street and noticed this huge bannard that said "Welcome Mr. President...Thank You Mr. President." Now I'm not gonna lie, it kind of made me laugh. It was the first and ONLY "Thank You Mr. President" sign I have seen in DC! (I'll spare the Bush-Bashing).

That same day, I was given the opportunity to attend my first briefing. This briefing was hosted by Congressman Dennis Kucinich. It was about the current situation in Gaza and how we (the United States) needed to help the people of Gaza. Now, I'm no expert on this issue. I probably know just as much as the other CNN junkies - however, I know propaganda when I see it. Granted, he did bring with him two experts on the issue that brought a lot of credibility to the case. But there was no room for debate. As a matter of fact they even stated, and I quote: "It's not about whether or not the people of Gaza are terrorists, it's about whether or not we can help them." I'll leave that up to your own interpretation. Aside of the one sided briefing, it was interesting to be able to sit front row and only about 15 feet away from the Congressman.

Thursday must have been the most boring day I've had since I've arrived to DC. My office had absolutely nothing for me to do...so other than the walk and train ride to and from work, nothing really exciting happened that day.

On Friday, UCDC had our White House photo op set up that morning. UC San Diego had their time slot set for 8:30am (the first group). The day was perfect. A little cold, but definitely a perfect day for pictures. So the whole building was up relatively early trying to look their best, given that this picture was going into the school archives as "the group whe attended UCDC during Obama's Inauguration." So we all walked the 6 blocks from our building to the White House to find out that the props from the Inaugural Parade were still up and obstructing the front view of the White House. So naturally, the photo session was cancelled. Most of us were pretty pissed because the majority of us took time off work to make the designated time slot. After about 30 minutes, the photographer decided that the session will be held later in the quarter. A bunch of us hung around and took advantage of the opportunity to take some of our own group pictures..."Someone is taking damn picture!" Somehow the group shots turned into photo shoot. The guys all of sudden became GQ models while the ladies were taking all these crazy pictures. At some some point, someone grabbed my ass during the group shots. Apparently everyone was in the joke but me...cuz everyone started laughing when I reacted to it. Just before the picture was taken I blaintly stated, with a smile of course, "Can someone please let go of my ass." Anyway, not the classiest moment, but a moment none the less. To this day, I still don't know who did it. Bastards!

That night, I went to this Latin club right down the street from my building. There was a handful of us that went...only cuz most people couldn't put it down on the dance floor with salsa, merengue, bachata, regeton, and other Latin music like us...not that I'm braging or anything. The funny part about it is that I went into the club limping and walked out of there with an extra bounce to my step. Somehow the pain in my knee went away. I guess I just needed to bring some of that Latin back into me...since I've been without it since I left SD.

Saturday was my relaxing day. I just stayed home and watched TV all day. Pretty lame, I know. But having a day where I for once had nothing to do was pretty nice.

But on Sunday, I took a stoll down to the National Portrait Gallery - where the portraits of all former 43 presidents reside. I decided to walk there because it was like 60 degrees outside! Let me tell you, it was a nice change from the below freezing temps. The building was pretty nice. The room in which the presidential portraits were held was very classy. Unfortunately only 2 of the portraits were the authentic paintings. The rest were duplicates. But it was still intense to be able to walk from the George Washington portrait all the way to the George W. Bush portrait and see how far our country has come. Seeing these presidents face to face through art and attaching their role in history was incredible. By the time I got to former President George W. Bush's portrait, I couldn't help but think about the next presidential portrait...the portrait of the 44th president...President Barack Obama. That will be a site worth seeing. Now since Obama hasn't posed for his portrait yet, there isn't one of him up yet. But I did get a chance to see the now world famous painting of his "HOPE" poster. The original art work is in the same building. Being able to see the same art peice that became a staple of his campaign...a campaign that I worked on for so long...was amazing. In between seeing all of these paintings, I was also able to visit the room in which Abraham Lincoln had his first Inaugural Ball. (which oddly enough was in the same building).

With Abraham Lincoln's 200th Birthday coming up this week, there seems to be a lot going on DC. This bicentenial is a very big deal...especially with President Obama refering to him so much throughout his campaign and during his Inaugural week. I'll be sure to let you all know how the celebration goes and where I end up that day.

Until then, I have to get ready for the family. My parents and my neice, Marisa, will be flying in tomorrow from Dixon. They'll be here visiting until Monday morning. I believe Philadelphia and New York is in the agenda this weekend. Should be a good time. I'll keep you posted.




Yea, "Thank You" Mr. President



The Cab Ride on My Way to Work



Congressman Dennis Kucinich at the Gaza Briefing



One of the Many Sobering Moments I Have (On My Way Home From Work - Metro Station)



UCDC Photo Shoot (The White House Is Behind All The Wood In The Background)



Our GQ Photo Shoot



Take Two!



I Believe This Is When I Realized Someone Was Grabbing My Ass



The Roommates: Julian (UCSD), Romain (UCSB), David (UCSD), and Jason (UCSB)



White House Shot (My Flag Pin Is Turned Side Ways - Hopefully I Won't Be Considered "Un-Patriotic")



Part of Downtown DC



The National Portrait Gallery/American Art Museum



President George Washington



Inside the Gallery (One Side of the Building)



Site of President Lincoln's First Inaugural Ball



President Abraham Lincoln



President Bill Clinton



President George W. Bush



Original "HOPE" Painting



Pennsylvania Ave.



A Shot Over the National Mall from the Speakers Hall Way (From Inside the Capitol - After Delivering Something to Her Office from My Congresswoman)

1 comment:

  1. Kucinich - OMG I LOVE him - quite frankly he's my fav. democ. character. Awww I think I would have died and gone to heaven. And yes, we do need to go into Gaza - that's what all of us real lefties think :-)

    Have fun with the family invasion this weekend ;-)

    ReplyDelete