Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Week Four: A Week of Random Surprises

This last week was filled with some unexpected surprises that made a relatively dull week seem interesting. To kick off the week on Tuesday, DC finally got its first inches of snow. One of my roommates woke me up with a text message on his way to work telling me to look outside. So I reach over to the blinds, half asleep, to see the rooftops of buildings covered in snow. Given that all of my roommates and myself are from California, seeing actual snow fall isn't exactly a common thing...then again, neither is trying to walk to work in it either. After my research seminar, I went back up to my room to get dressed for work. So I put on the usual: suit and tie, overcoat, gloves, scarf, and dress shoes. Now for those of you who are familiar with the business dress code would probably think that this fit was perfectly normal...and those of you familiar with east coast weather are probably thinking "what the hell were you thinking wearing dress shoes on a day like that?!" Look, I didn't know any better until I stepped foot outside. I walked no more than twenty yards before nearly eating it about three separate times! I thought to myself that maybe I was not the only one struggling here. So I looked around, and sure enough, I was definitely the only one struggling here. See, the locals know what's up. They wear black shoes that look like dress shoes, however the souls of their shoes had some sort of anti-eat-it guard. Long story short, I made it to and from work in one piece. However, I did have to take baby steps to save myself from embarrassment. (Nothing screams out California native than amateur moves like that).

Anyway, so on Wednesday morning I had the opportunity to give a tour of the Capitol to a group of students from the San Francisco area. These students were from Lincoln High School. I want to say there were a total of 26 students, 29 including their teacher and chaperons. The funny part about it was that the teacher just happened to be sisters with one of my professors from UCSD. So naturally,I wanted to make sure that they were well taken care of. I think it went pretty well. I was able to relate to a handful of the students by sharing my experiences of college and my time in DC thus far. I even gave the students my email address in case they wanted to contact me about anything related to school or my internship in DC. I figured that making myself available to them as a resource would be helpful to them. After nearly 4 years of living on my own, I can now look back and appreciate all of the helpful advice I received from multiple resources over the years. So I wanted to be a part that for them.

During the tour, I was privileged to be able to go out onto the Speaker's balcony which resides on the west side of the Capitol and looks directly over the steps where President Obama was sworn into office on his inauguration. You could imagine the snowy view of the mall. Unfortunately, due to the weather, we weren't able to see the Washington Monument or any of the other memorials. But it was still very cool to be standing out on the balcony. We worked our way back into the Capitol and went back into the Rotunda where Congresswoman Speier surprised the students with a visit. It was at that moment that I found a new level of respect for the congresswoman. She not only came out to greet the students and took a group picture with them, but she took about 10 to 15 minutes out of her busy schedule to talk to them about how she got to where she is at today and left an open floor Q and A just before leaving back to work. You know, every day I work in the office, I learn more about her and her work ethic and to this day she never seizes to amaze me. She is truly a genuine representative.

Later Wednesday afternoon,I worked my way to the House Gallery to observe the House Representatives cast their votes on the $819 Billion Stimulus Package. That was incredible! Almost all 435 Members were on the floor. Seeing Madam Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Congressman Ron Paul, Congressman Dennis Kucinich, Congresswoman Jackie Speier, Congresswoman Ellen Tauscher, and several other familiar representatives together on the House floor was a sight to see. What was even more amazing was to see the majority vote at work. When Congresswoman Tauscher asked weather or not to allow a certain amendment pass, all of the representatives responded with such passion. "All those in favor say I..." The Republicans yelled out: "I!!" "All those opposed..." And all the Democrats yelled out: "NO!!" "Tauscher: The No's have it." Now since 60% of the House is made up of Democrats, you could imagine how loud the 'No Vote' was. Once the bill passed 244-188, Madam Speaker Pelosi got up behind the podium, pounded the gavel, and announced the passing of the first major piece legislation pushed by President Obama. Since cameras aren't allowed in the gallery, I unfortunately don't have any pictures of this historic moment.

Thursday and Friday were very low key. Not really by choice...actually I blame my roommate. I ended up catching whatever he had and it completely messed me up. I got pretty sick and lost my voice for a day. Which meant that the weekend was going to be pretty boring. (Given that I was going to be stuck in doors taking meds and recuperating). Although I did manage to catch a flick (The Underworld: Rise of the Lycans) on Saturday - which was actually pretty good. But Going outside didn't exactly make me feel any better. I got tired of being in doors! I also managed to FINALLY get my haircut. I went to this place called Diego's Hair Salon. Now apparently this place is very famous. Former President Bush and Vice President Cheney have gone there, so have several Ambassadors, Senators, Supreme Court Justices, and many other influential people. The walls were covered with signed photographs of these people (signed to Diego himself). I mean this guy has even met the Pope! Crazy. So given the context of the salon, I wasn't as bitter paying the $20 for the haircut (not including the tip). The sad part about that, is that apparently $20 is a good deal. Other places charge at least $30 a haircut. So naturally I'm thinking: "where the hell are the Supercuts and the Great Clips?!"

Sunday was Super Bowl Sunday. Since I was still recuperating, I wasn't feeling up to par to party. However my roommate, neighbors, and I went out to this sports bar in DuPont Circle called Buffalo Billiards. We got ourselves a couple of good tables in front of a couple of big screens. We all had a few beers in honor of the American tradition...but then it was back to orange juice for me.

On Monday (yesterday), I took advantage of the opportunity during my lunch break to meet with the staff of both Congresswoman Ellen Tauscher's office and Congresswoman Susan Davis' office (CA-District 50, San Diego). I was fortunate enough to meet with Congresswoman Tauscher's Chief of Staff and offered to help with the office if they ever needed an extra body. I did the same with Congresswoman Davis' office, and offered my assistance to the Internship Director. (I just want to be able to take advantage of every opportunity available to me). Last night, I attended another UCDC Forum. This time we had the Chief of Staff to Madam Speaker Nancy Pelosi, John Lawrence. It was intriguing to be able to hear first hand what it's like to work for the head of the legislative branch, what it's like to be able to work with President Obama, and learning the best way to succeed in the political arena. After the forum was over, I was able to introduce myself and take a picture with Mr. Lawrence. In the process I was also able to meet the Senior Advisor of the Federal Government Relations of the University of California, Michael L. Telson, Ph.D. (Not a bad place to be in).

So although not a lot was happening this last week, these random surprises helped keep things interesting. Now, according to my Chief of Staff (as of yesterday), from here on out, my work load is going to finally shift into the legislative aspect of the internship...which is obviously what I flew nearly 3,000 miles for. Let's see what happens. As usual, I'll let you know next week.




First Day of Snow



Me on the Speaker's Balcony (8 Days After the Inauguration)



The Speaker's Balcony: View of the National Mall (If you look closely, you can see the platform where Obama was sworn in - it's in the center of the photo barely beyond the Capitol wall)



Looking at the Speaker's Balcony From Inside



Congresswoman Jackie Speier with the Students of Lincoln High School



Where I Got My First Haircut



Congresswoman Tauscher's Office (CA-10th District, Dixon)



UC Washington Center (My Building)



My Photo Op with Madam Speaker's Chief of Staff, John Lawrence

No comments:

Post a Comment